Re: Testing upgrade: Potentially harmful(?) problem

In Reply-to: <[🔎] 20010714220958.A561@c243491-a.aurora1.co.home.com>

Thanks Jim. I had, by deletion of packages that were creating
problems (like fetchmail, crafty, postgresql) and repeated
use of apt-get dist-upgrade completed everything successfully
except for lprng. This is half-configured, but I am able to
print to the remote printer ( I don't have an attached printer,
could this be the trouble.). For now, I will leave well alone, and
will try out your suggestion for the postinst scripts when I have
time to spare, just in case comething goes seriously wrong.

Surprisingly, reinstallation of fetchmail failed again: If I use
is to fetch mail, it seems to disappear into thin air. So use
IMAP on mutt.

Thanks also for the gentle reminder not to write directly but to post
replies to the list. I have got so used to mutt putting in the
To: field that I do not stop to think.  I will be more careful
in future. Perhaps there is a way in mutt to tell it, if a reply is to
a letter from a list to reply to that list. I will have to look this
up.

Thanks again.

Sebastian

<Jimmy Richards wrote>
	Howdy Again Sebastian,

	Sorry, but I guess I forgot to mention that the file would be
apt.conf if your running potato. Glad you found the right file though.
As for postinst scripts, if you know some bash shell scripting you can
open up the <package>.postinst script in the /var/lib/dpkg/info/
directory and fix the problem with the script. Or, less desirable, make
a skeleton <package>.postinst script of your own like so...

cd /var/lib/dpkg/info
mv <package>.postinst ~/<package>.postinst.bad
edit <package>.postinst (this will be a new an empty file now)
#!/bin/sh
exit 0

exit your editor and save
chmod +x <package>.postinst
then try to install it again as you did above
Now, I know it has been a little while and you may very well have
already solved this problem, but I couldn't get back to you until just
now about it. Either way, I hope it works out all good.
	Now, with all that said, I would like to say, please don't reply
directly to me and my e-mail address, especially without including the
reply to the debian-user mailing list. It doesn't really bother me much,
but the fact of the matter is that others on the list will not get to
see and learn from our correspondence as easily, others may be able to
help you out a lot faster than I can get back you, and others on the
list can point out mistakes being made and make necessary corrections
much more easily if everyone sticks to responding to the debian-user
mailing list. That is what it is for. It's not that big a deal but I
hope you can see the logic in what I am saying. And just to let you
know, some people find it downright offensive to be replied to directly,
even if you have included your reply to the mailing list as well, and
understanbly so. Please don't think I am trying to be hard on you.
Actually just trying to help you out for future correspondences.

	Thanks and I Hope That Helps,

	Jimmy Richards

Hello, welcome to the psychiatric hotline.
If you are obsessive-compulsive, please press 1 repeatedly.

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI--

--0ntfKIWw70PvrIHh

--0ntfKIWw70PvrIHh--