Re: Testing upgrade: Potentially harmful(?) problem

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 06:49:43PM -0400, Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
> Hi:
>
>  I am trying to upgrade testing on my second machine (apt-get
>  update; apt-get dist-upgrade) but it aborts. So I first tried to
>  install debconf ( apt-get install debconf ) and I get:
>
>  Extra Packages to be installed:
>     libhtml-parser-perl  libhtml-target-perl  libmime-base64-perl
>     libperl5.6  perl  perl-5.004  perl-5.004-suid  perl5.6
>     perl-base perl-modules.
>
>  Removed: perl-5.004-base
>           perl-5.005
> 	  perl-5.005-base
>
> New: libhtml-tagset-perl
>      libperl5.6
>      perl
>      perl-modules
>      perl-suid
>
> Essential package to be removed: perl-5.004-base. You are about to do
> something potentially harmful. Don't do this unless you know what you
> are doing.
>
> At this stage I aborted.  Anybody have any ideas whether its Ok
> to say yes?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sebastian
>

> --
> Sebastian Canagaratna
> Department of Chemistry
> Ohio Northern University
> s-canagaratna@onu.edu

	Hello Sebastian,

	I think you should be allright if you say yes. I'm running
'unstable' and am wondering a little bit about it removing
perl-5.005-base and perl-5.005 because I have those installed, but they
are listed as 'transitional packages'. But more or less you're going to
have to go through with it if you want to upgrade to testing. You might
try 'apt-get install debconf perl-5.005-base perl-5.005' and see what
happens with that. But really, I think you'll be ok saying yes.

	Hope that helps,

	Jimmy Richards