Re: Newbieish question

    Andy> On Sid about a 100 or so packages are updated everyday. A few weeks ago, I
    Andy> had a severely disabled system when the PAM modules failed to function. In
    Andy> essence, I couldn't log into the system.

Another important rule for using sid is: know your stuff, inside *and*
out.  I'm not trying to put you down here, I'm just noting that you
*can* run unstable.  You just have to know how to get out of a mess if
sid throws you in one.

(And anyway, the fact that you still run your system shows that you
knew how to solve the pam problem...)

    Andy> 2)"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Many will recommend
    Andy> that a cron job be run to update packages daily.

You mean "apt-get upgrade" nightly?  I've honestly never heard anyone
recommend this.  (Completely disregarding the fact that it's not even
possible... one config question and you're dead).

The usual is "apt-get update; apt-get -dy upgrade".  So when you want
to install any upgrade in normal waking hours, you can w/o having to
run a download.

    Andy> 4) Some packages - like the libpam package - can break your
    Andy> sytem critically.  Be very wary when upgrading these
    Andy> packages. It would be wise to download the package, and
    Andy> watch the mailing list for updates in the days
    Andy> following. Better still, wait a few days and watch the bug
    Andy> reports posted for that package.  Once satisfied that the
    Andy> package is "stable", install it.

This bears repeating:

Know what the packages do.  And know which you have to look out for
(which can cripple your system, or have an impact on a lot of critical
apps).

When new unstable libc appeared in sid a while ago (quite a while... I
think it was before potato, so woody was still unstable, not testing),
I waited a couple weeks even.

Until I couldn't stand not being able to upgrade almost all the other
packages ;-)

Bye, J

--
 Jürgen A. Erhard  (juergen.erhard@gmx.net, jae@users.sourceforge.net)