Re: Off Topic: iptables, ping, traceroute

<snip>
Depending on who you talk to there and how reasonable they
are, tell them you use a firewall and don't want to leave your
machine "vulnerable" like this. It's possible that they will
use the same machine or machines when they want to ping or
traceroute to you. If so, you can allow just those machines.

By the way, why do they need to traceroute to you ?? *They*
set up the routing and should know how and where packets are
going. If they're interested in hops between you and them,
they can ping them directly.

Regards
Hall

<snip>

Hall,

I'm experiencing 20 to 54% packet loss coming into my pc and going out.
Charter cable company has been "resolving" this for almost 8 months now.
I've even showed them the exact ip to their local router that's causing
the problems, yet the continue to want to ping my machine and run
traceroutes to it.

Regards,

Wm