Re: sound card not working properly

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 08:36:22PM +0200, Philipp wrote:
| Hi there,
|
| i have a soundblaster compatible sound card which is pluged on an isa-slot.
|
| I installed the soundcard like this:
|
| modprobe sb irq=5 dma=0 io=220
|
| When i look in the /var/log/syslog i see that a ESS1868 chip is detected.

Oh, ok, that really is SB compatible.  (I used to have an ESS1869
card).  When I read the sound-howto I learned that most
"sb-compatible" cards aren't sb-compatible

| That's my soundcard.
| After doing this command:
|
| cat /usr/share/sounds/phone.wav > /dev/dsp
|
| i get some anoying noises, like crscrsrssrsrsrsrsrsrs but no clear sound.
|
| What's wrong?

Could be wrong DMA channel.

| Ok, when i am under my X-session and typing "sed" in the command line, i
| can  use for e.g. xmms and a clear sound comes out of my speaker, but i
| can't adjust the volume.

huh.  (email doesn't display the tone,  this is a thoughtful "huh",
not a confused "huh")

| What's wrong and what can i do to get my soundcard working properly?
| Hope someone can help.

With my sound card I originally had the wrong DMA channel configured.
When I played a sound (with, eg, xmms) it was horrible.  It sounded
like a record player that was jerking forwards and backwards (the same
portion of the stream would be played in slow-speed several times
before it got to the next portion).  Also, when I tried to "stop" in
xmms it would take several seconds for the noise to actually stop.
One time I decided it was time to solve this problem so I booted
windows and recorded every single option and setting in its config.
Then I went back to linux and found that I was using the wrong DMA
channel.  I corrected it and the sound was beautiful after that.
That's about the extent of my sound card experience, but make sure you
aren't using an already used DMA channel and IRQ.

-D