sound card not working properly

Hi there,

i have a soundblaster compatible sound card which is pluged on an isa-slot.

I installed the soundcard like this:

modprobe sb irq=5 dma=0 io=220

When i look in the /var/log/syslog i see that a ESS1868 chip is detected.
That's my soundcard.
After doing this command:

cat /usr/share/sounds/phone.wav > /dev/dsp

i get some anoying noises, like crscrsrssrsrsrsrsrsrs but no clear sound.

What's wrong?

Ok, when i am under my X-session and typing "sed" in the command line, i
can  use for e.g. xmms and a clear sound comes out of my speaker, but i
can't adjust the volume.
What's wrong and what can i do to get my soundcard working properly?
Hope someone can help.

kind regards,

Philipp