Re: D-Link DFE-530TX+ (again)

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 12:57:42AM -0400, Evan Flynn wrote:
| Hi.
|
| I tried the Realtek 8139 driver with no parameters and unfortunetely i got
| the "device busy" error. Please note that I am INSTALLING Debian and

Hmm, that's not fun.  What are the numbers on the card itself?  Is
there a revision number or a manufactured date?  With my LinkSys card
I noticed it has "Rev 2.0" on it and it uses a Lite-On tulip-chip
clone.  It works fine with the stock tulip driver included since
2.0.36 kernels.  On LinkSys' site they sayt the current revision is
Rev 4 and uses a chip they made themself, thought the card has the
same model number.  Several times on this list people have complained
about the 2.2.x tulip driver not working with their LinkSys card and
others have explained that they need the new one in 2.4.x kernels.
Maybe your card is in a similar situation where the chipset changed
slightly, but just enough to make the driver not work.

| therefore i can't compile drivers (well maybe) or use kernel 2.4. Well I
| compiled the version that came with the card (they only provided source) on
| a system with RedHat 6.0 on it, didn't appear to work with Debian though.

Is that RH system using the same kernel?  It should work as long as
the kernel version (and config) is the same.

| This is really becoming quite frustrating.

I can imagine.

| Do I just need to enter parameters, or is there some way I could
| compile a driver, or perhaps it is a bad BIOS setting? Maybe I'm
| just a clueless newbie.

In order to compile a driver you need to have a system with a compiler
installed.  Kind of a chicken-vs-egg problem you have here.

| Anyway, the card works fine in Windows ME.  Any help at all is
| appreciated, and I don't want to ditch a linux distro over a nic....

Glad you're not giving up so easily :-).

Can you download CD isos to install from?  Then you wouldn't need the
NIC right away and you could try compiling different versions of
drivers.  Alternatively you could try borrowing a different NIC from a
friend to try and get a base system installed.  Then you could deal
with getting this card working.

Where do you live?  If it is around Rochester, NY, maybe I could help
out?

-D