Re: zip drive?

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 12:03:13AM -0400, Jeff Maxson wrote:
| On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Petr [Dingo] Dvorak wrote:
| > On Sun, 15 Jul 2001, Jeff Maxson wrote:
| >
| > JM> mount -t vfat /dev/hdd1 /zip
| > JM>
| > JM> gets me
| > JM>
| > JM> hdd: The drive reports both 100663296 and 100646912 bytes as its capacity
| > JM>  hdd: hdd4
| > JM> mount: mount point /zip does not exist
| >
| > first do mkdir /zip because it doesn't exist :)
| >
| > then try mount -t vfat /dev/hdd4 /zip
|
| duh.  Thanks, it worked.  First blush I thought the problem was the first
| warning, not the second...

Actually, both of them were problems.  For some weird reason the
pre-formatted vfat zip disks use the 4th partition as the only
partition, not the first.  Hence the '4' instead of the '1' in the
mount command.  If you want to, you can repartition the disks to use
the first partition and even make them ext2 if you don't intend to put
it in a windows box.

You can also add a line to /etc/fstab that will let you simply say
"mount /zip".

-D