Re: XWindows library

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 12:52:48PM +0200, Ellenkamp, Guus wrote:
> I'm new to Linux and am trying to compile an X-Windows program but can't
> seem to link it. The library doesn't seem to be in place.

Did you install the relevant *-dev package?

Start dselect, do an update first and next, in the select screen,
search for "xlib", using '/' to enter your query string and '\' to
repeat searches.  When the development package is under the cursor bar,
mark it for install with the '+' or 'insert' key.  Press enter to accept
the new selections.  Finally, run "install" from the dselect menu.

Don't forget to meticulously read the help screens in dselect whenever
they pop up.

      |                       |
      | now what's this here? |
      v                       v
> De informatie verzonden met dit e-mailbericht (en bijlagen)
> is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n) en zij die
> van de geadresseerde(n) toestemming kregen dit bericht te
> lezen. Gebruik door anderen dan geadresseerde(n) is
> verboden. De informatie in dit e-mailbericht (en bijlagen)
> kan vertrouwelijk van aard zijn en kan binnen het bereik
> vallen van een geheimhoudingsplicht en een verschonings-
> recht.
>
> Any information transmitted by means of this email (and any
> of its attachments) is intended exclusively for the addressee
> or addressees and for those authorized by the addressee
> or addressees to read this message. Any use by a party
> other than the addressee or addressees is prohibited.
> The information contained in this email (or any of its
> attachments) may be confidential in nature and fall under a
> pledge of secrecy and the attorney-client privilege.

Guus, I understand that you did not put that there personally, but this
is ridiculous.  Everything you post to debian-user will be archived and
mirrored manyfold.  In principle, anything sent out into the internet
may be archived and mirrored.  If you send messages to a public mailing
list, you have granted the whole internet the right to quote any of it,
in whatever way they like, bound only by conventional rules of proper
communication.

And even those will be worked around by some.  Does your corporation
think they can sue "the internet"?  They do seem to think that they can
intimidate "the internet" by placing these curious bumper stickers on
all its employees' email sent out to the internet.

You should both severely bat the people in your organization who put
this .sig on all your mail with a big cluestick and stop using that
corporate email system (or vote with your feet).

Did you know that you can simply:

  telnet murphy.debian.org smtp

even in windows (perhaps you need to click a few extra times to get it
to connect to port 25)?  Then type in some smtp lingo, followed by your
message, ended by a line with a single dot.  Remember to put "User-Agent:
telnet" in the body headers.  For more infos, read rfc821 and rfc822.
Please do not violate the rules for valid return addresses when you send
mail like this.

If your corporation thinks telnet to the outside is dangerous (do they
also think dynamically scripted webbrowsers are okay?), get an email
address on some friend's machine or at an isp.  In .nl, try xs4all.

Then put up a tiny procmail recipe that pipes all mail sent to that
account from your corporate email address to a little script.  The script
cuts the disclaimer crap and parses the message body for the final
recipient (put an "X-To:" header in the message body) and sends the
message out to the final address.  Perhaps you should also let the script
replace the From: address that points to the corporate email address.

You can add more ingredients to the mix, like creating a gpg keypair
on the forwarding machine.  Set no passphrase on the private key,
and making your script decrypt the messages before forwarding them.
When you encrypt messages to the forwarder's public key before sending
them through the corporate mail system, your boss can't spy on your mail.

Perhaps your corporation also want to put up a web filter that blocks
access to such dangerous terrorist websites as all the mirrors of the
archives of this public mailing list.  And while they're at it, they
should perhaps also ban http://www.google.com/ because it caches all
the pages that it found hits on, so you don't need to go to the actual
site anymore.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joost