Re: Real Player for potato

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 06:24:10AM +0200, Joost Kooij wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 01:51:37PM +1000, mdevin@ozemail.com.au wrote:
> > OK, just need a little help here trying to install realplayer on my
> > debian potato box.
> >
> > I went to the real.com site and downloaded their
> > rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs2.bin file.  But then I did a bit of google
> > searching and found that there is an installer .deb for it but it is
> > only in woody / sid and not for potato.
> >
> > So I edited my /etc/apt/sources.list and changed it to point
> > (temporarily) to woody and tried to apt-get install realplayer.
> > However, it wanted to upgrade libc6, perl, debconf and a whole lot of
> > others - which I naturally refused to do.
>
> It naturally want to upgrade your packages if you put in a deb uri
> that points to all updated packages.  No need for the automatic power
> screwdriver if all you want to do is to hammer a single nail into
> the wall.
>
> > So, is it fine to just run the installer rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs2.bin
> > I have already downloaded from real.com, or is there some better way to
> > not upset my stable potato machine?
>
> Manually download the realplayer installer deb from the debian archive.
> Install the deb manually with dpkg -i.  It will look for the realplayer
> bin thing and unpack it and set it up.

I tried that already and got the following messages:

# dpkg -i realplayer_8.0.5_i386.deb
Selecting previously deselected package realplayer.
(Reading database ... 23682 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking realplayer (from .../realplayer_8.0.5_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of realplayer:
 realplayer depends on debconf (>= 0.9.53); however:
  Version of debconf on system is 0.2.80.17.
dpkg: error processing realplayer (--install):
 realplayer

So, it seems that the woody realplayer.deb installer depends on the
woody debconf version.  Hmmm.  Is this what you meant?

What gives?

Thanks for help.
Mark.