Re: X4 scrolling

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 09:16:48AM +1000, Bek Oberin wrote:
> Andy Saxena wrote:
> > I faced a similiar problem before, but reversed :).
> > Make sure the "modes" line in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 reads like this:
> > Modes       "640x480" "800x600"
> > X creates a virtual screen corresponding to the largest screen resolution and
> > uses the first entry as the default startup resolution.
>
> No, that's not it.  I want to be able to scroll AROUND the virtual
> screen and I can't.  All I can see is the top left hand corner of it
> and it doesn't scroll like it used to.

Use the "Virtual" directive to force a virtual screen size.

SubSection "Display"
   Virtual <xdim> <ydim>
EndSubSection

$ man XF86Config

 Virtual  xdim ydim
              This optional entry specifies the virtual screen resolution
              to be used.  xdim must be a multiple of either 8 or 16  for
              most  drivers,  and  a  multiple  of  32  when  running  in
              monochrome mode.  The given value will be rounded  down  if
              this  is not the case.  Video modes which are too large for
              the specified virtual size will be rejected.  If this entry
              is  not  present, the virtual screen resolution will be set
              to accommodate all the valid video modes given in the Modes
              entry.   Some  drivers/hardware combinations do not support
              virtual screens.  Refer to the appropriate  driver-specific
              documentation for details.

Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>