Re: midi problem with on board sound i810

Steve Kieu wrote:

> So is there anyway to create a virtual device for
> playmidi or kmid to work?. I would like to know if I
> can configure kmidi as a netscape plugin too, do you
> have any information?
>
> Thanks very much for your info.

The short answer (from me) is "I don't know"!

As I mentioned, I have been struggling with just this same problem for
over a year on several Debian-related OSes (Corel, Stormix, Debian,
Progeny).  I am NOT a programmer, and my general approach can best be
described as "trial and error" <g>.  At one point I had it working, but
I can't duplicate what I did :(  My card is a Sound Blaster PCI 128,
that doesn't have a synth chip on-board.  Most modern sound cards fall
into this category.

There is a dirth of info on how to do this sort of thing, and from what
I have experienced the "default" set of pre-defined sound devices is a
bit different with each OS.  The "best" info source on this process that
I have found is from the http://www.opensound.com/pguide/index.html
site.  There are some code examples there as well as the "OSS
Programmer's guide v1.1 (PDF)", which I would recommend as general
background info.  At best it is somewhat confusing to me, and NOT
hardware-specific.

The fact that you are using another chipset than I do further
complicates the problem.  My card uses an ESS chipset that has its own
set of hardware "features" to contend with.  I know nothing about the
i810...

The best I can reliably re-produce here is to get KMID (and others) to
play a MIDI file, BUT I can't seem to get it to pipe correctly to the
audio section of the sound card, so I can hear it.  I can see KMID
running and playing notes on the GUI, but all I get is silence.  The
process to do this is to install the "softoss2" driver and also a set of
sound patch sets (these are usually present if you have KMIDI or
Timidity working), then play around with the various synth selections in
the KMID preferences/setup menus.  I had the most luck getting to this
point with the "commercial" OSS sound drivers.

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can step in here and give us
both a "lesson" <g>.  I am real good at identifying "problems"....just
rather poor at fixing them....

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-