RPC services

HI,

A novice type RPC/NFS question if someone could advise me please.

I have two machine running Debian and I want to share certain
directories between them. I installed them in as best as I could a
similar fashion. I am able to share directories in one direction, but
not the other. I was getting the error on one machine "Mount: RPC:
Program not registered".

I read it up and have found that I need to run "rpc.nfsd" and
"rpc.mountd" and everything is fine. The question though is this, why do
I have to do it?

One machine clearly loads these daemons at boot time and one does not.
When they were installed in a similar fashion why does one machine need
these commands entered additionaly, and more importantly, how do I edit
it so that it *will* run these at boot time?

I told you I was new - Please indulge me with what must be a dummy-type
oversight

Keith
| Keith O'Connell                  |     "That which does not kill     |
| Maidstone, Kent (UK)             |      us, usually still hurts.     |
| keith_oconnell@bigfoot.com       |   That's just life, I'm afraid"   |