Re: Installing Java

Juan uttered:
> At 09:04 14/07/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >It's java, why not get it from Sun? http://java.sun.com/j2se/
> >
> >You want either the 1.4 beta or 1.3.1. There are two packages, a RedHat
> >RPM shell script and a GNUZIP Tar shell script. I've installed both with
> >equal success, but if you have to use alien to do the RPM. This will let
> >you compile and run applets.
> Can I install RPM into Debian?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Juan Jos? Vel?zquez Garcia
> Web Development
> www.htmlspider.com.br

alien is a program that converts between .deb, .rpm, .tgz, and .slp
package formats. Install alien by running the following line as root:
apt-get install alien

Then use 'man alien' to see how it works. Some on this list will be
opposed to installing rpms for theological reasons, but this one worked
for me.

Good luck!

Paul