Re: hp5l paraport print insanity

	Subject: Re: hp5l paraport print insanity
	Date: Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 02:32:37AM -0400

Quoting Theodore Knab(tjk@annapolislinux.org):
> Thanks the problem was resolved by removing the ifhp.deb package and reconfiguring /etc/printcap
>
> Just incase anybody has a similar problem.
>
> Here are the details for the list archive.
>
> debian packages
> debian:/var/spool/lpd/lp# dpkg -l | grep -i print* | grep -v ^rc
> ii  gnome-print    0.10-5         The GNOME Print architecture
> ii  hp-ppd         0.3-2          HP Postscript Printer Definition (PPD) files
> ii  libprinterconf 0.3-2          Printer autodetection library
> ii  lprng          3.7.4-4        lpr/lpd printer spooling system
> ii  lprngtool      1.1.1-3        GUI frontend to LPRng based /etc/printcap
> ii  magicfilter    1.2-45         automatic printer filter.
> ii  mpage          2.5.1pre-2     print multiple pages per sheet on PostScript
> ii  pdq            2.2.1-5        Simple printing system for workstations
> ii  printop        1.12-4         Graphical interface to the LPRng print syste
> ii  trueprint      5.2.1-5        pretty printing of source code
> ii  xpdq           2.2.1-5        Graphical user interface for the pdq printin
> ii  xprt           4.1.0-0pre1v3  X print server
>
> I don't think that all the above packages are needed for printing.
> The following are known as needed.
> lprng
> magicfilter
> enscript
> ps

I have found that I can get better output to my laser printer with the
a2ps package then I can with enscript.  With a2ps I was able to adjust
the papersize to position the printing in the center of the paper,
rather then print off the edge.  This might be due to my Brother LP
tho.

Just a thought.
--
How an engineer writes a program: Start by debugging an empty file...