Re: pci ide device drivers; compiling drivers?

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 12:55:21AM -0700, Gladimir wrote:
> I am slowly making my way through /var/log/messages, and I ma trying to
> correct the following error:
>
> PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device 40, VID=1095, DID=0643
>
> My disk controller happens to be:
>
> CMD Technology 646U2 Ultra DMA Controller
>
> Maybe I've been staring at my computer for too many hours, but I can't find
> anything that I might recognize as a straight forward, ready-to-go driver
> for this controller.  However, I have found send several source files for
> this driver (example follows), so I would like some instructions or a link
> instructing me on compiling and installing the driver.
>
> http://www2.linuxforum.net/lxr/http/source/drivers/block/cmd646.c
>
> Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

That driver is included with the 2.4 kernel source (not sure about
2.2) so you'd only need to say 'Y' to it when configuring the kernel.

If you're running an "out of the box" kernel, use modconf and look for
a module named CMD64x under block devices.

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>