Re: damn. so much for MAPS

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 11:53:55PM +0200, Martin F. Krafft wrote:
> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/07/13/0513251
>
> i have already started setting up my own RBL domain at
> rbl.madduck.net. the resources are *not* enough to host for hundreds,
> [...]
>
> thoughts, ideas?

i've been following this on news.admin.net-abuse.email.  IMO, there's
not much to worry about.

MAPS was a good idea when it started, but its inertia has damaged the
fight against spam for at least two years.

in the long run, we'll be better off because alternatives will spring up
which aren't as sluggish and unresponsive as MAPS has become (it takes
forever to get a new spamhaus listed in MAPS. even worse, there's fairly
compelling evidence that they won't list any site which is an above.net
customer).

orbs.org died nearly two months ago. within a month there ware at least
4 son-of-orbs services available, all of them with more "professional"
policies and attitudes than AB's orbs.org.

MAPS is committing suicide. by the end of the month there will be
several replacements.

there's even a list of dnsrbl lists available at
http://relays.osirusoft.com/ - the guy running it is attempting to get
the various dnsrbl services to co-ordinate and co-operate.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Fabricati Diem, PVNC.