Re: Testing upgrade: Potentially harmful(?) problem

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 06:49:43PM -0400, Sebastian Canagaratna wrote:
| Hi:
|
|  I am trying to upgrade testing on my second machine (apt-get
|  update; apt-get dist-upgrade) but it aborts. So I first tried to
|  install debconf ( apt-get install debconf ) and I get:
|
|  Extra Packages to be installed:
|     libhtml-parser-perl  libhtml-target-perl  libmime-base64-perl
|     libperl5.6  perl  perl-5.004  perl-5.004-suid  perl5.6
|     perl-base perl-modules.
|
|  Removed: perl-5.004-base
|           perl-5.005
| 	  perl-5.005-base
|
| New: libhtml-tagset-perl
|      libperl5.6
|      perl
|      perl-modules
|      perl-suid
|
| Essential package to be removed: perl-5.004-base. You are about to do
| something potentially harmful. Don't do this unless you know what you
| are doing.
|
| At this stage I aborted.  Anybody have any ideas whether its Ok
| to say yes?

The perl version changed.  However, perl is a critical component of
the Debian core (dpkg or apt or debconf or something like that).  If
you do a dist-upgrade then everything will get upgraded together and
there won't be a problem because you replace one perl with another,
and all the packages that depend on it are replaced with packages that
depend on the new perl instead.

I did a dist-upgrade a few weeks ago without any trouble.  Maybe if
you try again, as opposed to upgrading stuff one-at-a-time it will
work better?  Why did it abort in the first place?  Did dpkg just die?
If so, run it again (it happened to me a couple times).

At the moment I have :

$ dpkg -l perl\*base
|uppercase=bad)
pn  perl-5.004-bas <none>         (no description available)
ii  perl-5.005-bas 6.2            Transitional package.
un  perl-5.6-base  <none>         (no description available)
ii  perl-base      5.6.1-5        The Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister.
un  perl5-base     <none>         (no description available)

-D