Re: apt-get/dselect-problem

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:38:47PM +0200, Martin Bretschneider wrote:
> > If you do not want to update all packages, put the ones that you do
> > not want to upgrade on hold.  If you want to track only a few packages,
> > put everything on hold first and then unhold the few.
>
> Hm, I yust wanna update few debs day by day. If I understand it the right
> way, I can make an 'apt-get update' and then install my wanted deb with
> "apt-get [deb]. Right?

If you mean to keep updating the same group of packages, then putting
all other packages on hold is the best way, I think.  YMMV.

If you want to upgrade a few packages every day, thus gradually upgrading
your whole system, then maybe running apt-get install $somepkg may be
more convenient.  Still, it is advisable to update the available file
in dselect once in a while and to check the package selections.

> Well, what's going to happed with dependencies at all. You also mentioned
> it. Is there another file that contains every installed deb, its version
> and it dependencies? If yes, I can do update my sources.list as long as I
> want because that just contain debs *to install*.
>
> Please correct my if I'm wrong;)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, actually.  Probably, you're talking
about the dpkg status database.  It is not the same as the available
database, if that is what you mean, indeed.

Cheers,

Joost