Re: new.net tlds, resolve.conf, squid

[please hit enter after +/- 70 characters]

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 09:36:56PM -0600, ray p wrote:
> I'm trying to set up my Woody box to see the TLDs served by new.net's
> root servers to do this I added the line "search new.net" to my
> /etc/resolve.conf now I can ping the servers on the new tlds (maxim.free)
> and when I run a browser that does not go through my Squid I can browse
> to them. But browsing with the browser going through squid squid gives me
> an error that the name does not exist. So does anybody know how to make
> squid use the search line from /etc/resolve.conf. Thanks much for any help

Did you read the resolv.conf manual page?  The "search new.net" line
only makes your machine think it is itself part of the new.net domain.

You need to put in the ip address of a resolving nameserver that knows
about the new tld's.  You can run your own caching nameserver and put
in a slightly modified root server hints file.  But try reading some
general documentation about it first.

Cheers,

Joost