Re: fetchmail, mutt, mail

On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 04:58:59PM +0200, Schoppitsch Dieter wrote:
| Hi,
| what is going wrong?
|
| Dialing in to my ISP (with pppd) and fetching mails (with fetchmail)
| works well.  But then I get the message "SMPT connect to localhost
| failed"

Do you have an MDA (or MTA) installed on your system?  fetchmail needs
to hand off the messages to something else, such as procmail,
sendmail, exim, postfix, etc.

| respectively (using fetchmail -S hostname) "This message is
| MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand".

Where does this come from?  mutt can handle MIME just fine.

| * Where can I see/set my local smtphostname (or should I set my domainname)?

Probably in the config of your MTA.

| * Sending myself a mail (with mutt) doesn't work - which address
| should I use (root or root@hostname doesn't work)?

Mutt needs an MTA to send (transfer) the message somewhere.  Either
setup an MTA/MDA on your system if you want to deliver locally, or set
up ssmtp to accept the message and hand it off to a real SMTP server.

HTH,
-D