Emacs frames, text color, and KDE

Hi,

I am playing around with the recent KDE 2.2 packages, and for the most
part I like them a lot.  I did, however, find the following problem:

I start up emacs and it uses the normal colors (wheat on slate).

I start up another frame of the same emacs session, and the normal
text is all displayed in black-on-white, even thought the background
color of the frame as a whole is still slate.  It is only as I write
the text that the black on white comes up -- one character at a time.

Note that text which is re-colorized via font-locking is fine -- it's
only the plain text (including white space) which is massacred.

This seems to be a KDE problem;  I do not see it under GNOME or XFCE.

So:

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

Is this well known, or should I submit a bug about it (and to which of
the innumerable KDE packages)?

Is there a well known work-around?

Is there a FAQ which I should have read first?

Thanx.

Dan