Re: RAM size.

	Subject: Re: RAM size.
	Date: Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 12:13:20PM +0100

Quoting J.A.Serralheiro(mrserra@ci.uc.pt):

> On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Alexey wrote:
>
> > > mem=128M
> > Thanks, it's OK.
> >
> > You know, while running DOS or Windows, the CPU is hot (I can touch it),
> > even if I do nothing. It becomes cool under Linux!!!
>
> strange, never heard of that.

You would have if you had compiled a 2.4.x kernel lately.  Under
# PCMCIA/CardBus support
Power Management support
CONFIG_PM
  "Power Management" means that parts of your computer are shut
  off or put into a power conserving "sleep" mode if they are not
  being used. There are two competing standards for doing this: APM
  and ACPI. If you want to use either one, say Y here and then also to
  the requisite support below.

  Power Management is most important for battery powered laptop
  computers; if you have a laptop, check out the Linux Laptop home
  page on the WWW at
  http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-laptop/ and the Battery
  Powered Linux mini-HOWTO, available from
  http://www.linuxdoc.org/docs.html#howto .

  Note that, even if you say N here, Linux on the x86 architecture
  will issue the hlt instruction if nothing is to be done, thereby
  sending the processor to sleep and saving power.

IIRC that was also the case for Cyrix chips when I was running the 2.2.x kernels.

Linux Rules in many ways.
--
Real programmers don't bring brown-bag lunches.  If the vending machine
doesn't sell it, they don't eat it.  Vending machines don't sell