Re: Can't play audio CDs

	Subject: Re: Can't play audio CDs
	Date: Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 08:02:30AM -0400

Quoting Hall Stevenson(hallstevenson@mindspring.com):
> > > I have an ATAPI CD-ROM drive (actually a Creative
> > > Dxr2 DVD drive), which I can't get to play audio CDs
> > > under debian.
> <snip>
> >
> > ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom
> > and in
> > /etc/fstab put
> > /dev/hdc  /cdrom  iso9660 defaults,ro,user,auto 0 0
> >
> > Then mkdir /cdrom to put a cdrom dir in /   Thay way
> > you can just do mount /cdrom, when you need to.
>
> He asked about playing audio CDs. Your suggestion is helpful
> for someone who needs to mount a *data* CD, but not an audio
> CD. You don't mount them. You simply put them in and use
> whatever cd-player app you prefer. At most, you may have to
> tell it the name of the device, for example, /dev/hdc. Or to
> make it easier, create the link to /dev/cdrom as you show. The
> /etc/fstab entry isn't necessary.

So, I gave him too much information, more then he asked for, huh.

Well I 'was' trying to cover all the bases, as I said.

The fstab entry will sure help when he decides to use the cdrom for
something other then audio cd's.

My suggestions were meant to prevent the question "I can play audio
CD's but can't read my debian 3.4_r5 disks", in the future.

Besides, what does it hurt, unless a DVD can't read data disks.

Nest time I guess I should only write RTFM.  Geez, I can't win.
--
Windows: the ultimate triumph of marketing over technology.