Re: DocBook User Documentation

David H Silber <debian-user@SilberSoft.com> writes:
DHS> I would like to use DocBook to create the documentation for a project
DHS> I'm working on (see signature) but have been unable to find instructions
DHS> for generating various formats of output.

DHS> I guess what I'm really loooking for is a cookbook that says "This is how
DHS> to make HTML out of DocBook.  This is how to generate
DHS> PostScript."

Probably the most straightforward way is to install the
cygnus-stylesheets package; that comes with db2html, db2ps, db2pdf,
and a couple of others.  These scripts appear to be very
straightforward wrappers around jade and {pdf,}jadetex, but the jade
command line in particular tends to be pretty cumbersome.

The harder way is to follow the instructions in the O'Reilly DocBook
book and create a small wrapper stylesheet that sets some options
and loads one of the other stylesheets (typically one of the ones in
the docbook-stylesheets package).  The advantage to this is that, if
you happen to think that the "normal" and Cygnus stylesheets both look
ugly (I do), it's easy enough to change things to look prettier.  The
downside is that you need to learn to invoke jade (not *too* hard) and
jadetex (just run it over and over until it stops complaining :-).

	-- Abra Mitchell