tunl0? (etc)

Musta done something wrong in the install.  After a lot of frustration, I
figured out that I needed to do an "ifconfig down tunl0" from root to kill
whatever "tunl0" is before my connection to the internet works.  So, once
it is dead, things are peachy.  Couple questions then:

1) what's tunl0, so I don't install it next time I do an install?

2) what do I need to do so that I don't have to shut it down everytime I
reboot?

3) on a totally off-topic question, I can't seem to get x to work (with
potato or woody) SuperProbe says I have a Yamaha 6388 VPDC chipset, and
the card is some JoyMedia something or other (its on a now-bankrupt
CyberMax computer w/DVD drive...works in Windows)  Anyone ever got that
card to work, or should  I just go get a card on the supported list?  If
so, any suggestions on DVD-and-Linux compatible video cards?  I can get to
a really messed up, unreadable, freaked-out screen if I type "startx" from
a prompt using base generic VGA settings in xf86config.  I don't think it
is my monitor, since it works fine in windows at pretty high res.  Any
suggestions will help, so TIA.

Have a good one,
Jeff
--