Re: installing gcj, is this ok? (gcc-3.0)

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 10:13:04PM -0700, Eric G. Miller wrote:
| On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 11:44:30PM -0400, D-Man wrote:
|
| > I want to install gcj on my system.  I am running woody, and when I
| > try and apt-get install gcj it says it needs gcj-2.95.  Ok, so I add
| > that to the apt line.  Now it says it will install cpp-3.0 gcc-3.0
| > gcc-3.0-base and libgcc300.  Will there be any problem with letting
| > apt install gcc-3.0 next to gcc-2.95?  If not is there any reason not
| > to install gcj-3.0 instead of 2.95?  (I really want gcc 3.0, but I'm
| > not ready to deal with converting my system yet.  Also I need to build
| > a kernel first.)
|
| Try it and let us know ;)

LOL!  This isn't the answer I was looking for <wink>.

| Presumably, the set-up still has gcc-2.95 as "gcc" and you'd have to
| specify CC=gcc230 or some such to use the 3.0 version.

I think I should suggest to the developers that the pages on
packages.debian.org should all have a link to the upstream web site
and display a list of all the files that are in the package.  I would
like to see, before I spend hours downloading the package, what
executables it will create so I can look for any conflicts I may see.
For example, I want to have kaffe, gcj, jdk1.1.8 and jdk1.2.2 on my
system so I want to be sure there aren't any conflicts with more than
one of them providing, for example, /usr/bin/java.  It's probably best
to use a different root for each package, and check this sort of stuff
first.

| Guess this pain will have to be dealt with pretty soon anyway...

Yep.  I read through the discussion on the -dev archives.  No
resolution yet.

-D