RE: MUAs that compare with Outlook (your chance to show how much better Linux is than MS!!)

Lo, on Thursday, July 12, Kurt Lieber did write:

> I'm wedded to the way Outlook displays information.  With one look at
> the main Outlook screen, I can tell how many unread messages I have in
> each account, the content of the first unread message in my primary
> account (via the preview pane) as well as whether any of these messages
> have attachments, are important, etc.
>
> This allows me to leave Outlook running in the background and keep an
> eye on it throughout the day.  If a program requires me to switch around
> between multiple screens to get the same sort of presentation, then it's
> lost it's value to me since I now have to bring the program to the
> front, cycle through all the windows and determine if anything important
> has come in.

Oh, if *that*'s all you want, then fine.  I don't have multiple accounts,
but I do subscribe to a number of high-traffic mailing lists, including
debian-user.  I use fetchmail, running in daemon mode, to bring them down,
then procmail to sort them out into a collection of inbox folders, and
gbuffy (in an eponymous Debian package) to report on what's in each folder
(marked as a sticky window so it's on all of my virtual desktops).  Then
use the MUA of your choice.  I'm a fan of VM, because I'm used to the Emacs
keybindings, and it's the only MUA I've found which lets you edit messages
that you receive in-place.  Your requirements may differ.

I've been meaning to check out GNUS for a while, but as someone else said
(I think on this list) it has a learning curve that you can use as a plumb
line, and I've just not taken the time to get used to it.

Richard