Re: new to debian have questions

At 02:20 p.m. 12/07/01 -0400, Brian Nelson wrote:
Jeremy Gaddis wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 10:23:31AM -0400, Brian Nelson wrote:
>

>>That said, I tend to be highly suspicious of anyone that posts email to
>>this list with a MS mail client.  It's one thing for a newbie that's
>>having installation trouble with Debian, but it likely shows ignorance
>>for a so-called experienced Linux user.  You would be hard-pressed to
>>find another person on this list that thought MS mail products are
>>superior to Unix ones.
>>

> Why would you be suspicious?  I happen to like Outlook, and

Because this is a debian-user list, and if you're using Outlook, you're
obviously not using debian.

Just one point:
I've been using linux for some years...
I write may university works on latex
I read my mail on mutt
I write my webpages on vi
I have 4 networked debian boxes at home, and a notebook (debian too)
I have written a couple of programs/docs under the GPL
I happen to be in two projects at work, now one on windows, and another on AIX, I can only access internet form win, an thus, I write from Eudora (I happen to hate O/OE),

How right would be to consider me suspicius for writing from win?
I used to think that, before I had to install windows here...

> for the most part I think it's a good product.  If you don't
> like it, don't use it.  Why does it show "ignorance for a so-
> called experienced Linux user"?  Because I like it?  Because
> I think it's a better client than [mutt|Pine|other MUA here]?
> If you consider someone ignorant because of the mail client
> they use, you jump to conclusions way too quick.

No, I thought you were ignorant because of your comments about dselect,
apt, and dpkg.  In my world, Outlook doesn't automatically make you
ignorant, just suspicious.

> If I were a "newbie" posting to the list with Outlook/OE,
> spitting HTML messages everywhere, with screwed up line breaks,
> etc. etc. I might understand why I was flamed for using Outlook.
> I *do*, however, take the time to configure my mail clients to
> avoid such crap.

That's good.  I only flamed you because you because your comments were
misinformed, and I hate to see misinformation spread by someone who
isn't even using Debian.

>>Joost is one of the most knowledgable people on this list, and you
>>basically said he was wrong.  I thought that was pretty ignorant, and
>>not surprising from someone who used MS products.  With your reply, you
>>just proved my point nicely.
>>

> I'm not sure how I said he was wrong.  I try not to be like
> some people and be so quick to judge others, especially when
> it's WRT something as stupid as what mail client one prefers.

Well, he said dselect was an essential tool for package management, and
you replied that dselect didn't do anything apt and dpkg couldn't do.

> FWIW, Joost does seem rather knowledgeable, AFAICT from his
> list posts anyways.  What if he decided to switch mail clients?
> Would you suddenly flame him in the same way and call him
> ignorant also?

Only if he started saying stupid stuff too.

I really don't care what email clients people use.  I've even posted to
this list using MSOE.  The only different was I hated doing it.

All I ask is that you don't try to sound like you know what you're
talking about (but don't) if you're using MS Windows and Outlook.
It's like RMS writing about the evils of closed-source software from a Windows machine. It's just weird.

Ok, let's let this thread die now...

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>