Re: ssh strangeness

At 01:57 p.m. 12/07/01 -0400, Andrew Dixon wrote:
Hi All,
I've been having some weird problems with ssh.  I can connect to our
server (RH 7.1) but when I try to connect to another Debian box on the
network (PPC) I get the following message:

dixon@rowling:~$ ssh -l andrew.dixon stiq

I get the same error when I try on a different PPC Deb box as well.

I CAN log into the PPC Deb box from the redhat server and I also CAN log
into my Debian box from the server.

Could this be a problem with reverse name lookups?  We're using M$ as
our DHCP and primary DNS and it works about as well as you'd expect it
to work (read: it sucks).

Any hints, tips, pointers, or other wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I had that problem when a ssh server was down. Did you try telneting to see if ssh answers? Can you access that server form other machine(via ssh)? I don't think it's a DNS problem, but if you can add the hostname to /etc/hosts, It will get faster (at the beginning).