Re: apt-get/package list troubles

Am 11. Jul, 2001 schwäzte Kurt Lieber so:

> I'm fairly new to Debian, so I apologize if this is really obvious.
>
> That said, I'm trying to install SSH2, which is available here:
>
> ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/testing/non-US/non-free/binary-i
> 386/ssh2_2.0.13-5.1.deb
>
> So, I have the following line in my sources.list file: (among others)
>
> deb ftp://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US non-free

That looks good.

> If I do "apt-get update" all the package lists update fine and I get no
> error messages.
>
> When I try to do apt-get install ssh2, I get the following error message:
>
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
> Package ssh2 has no available version, but exists in the database.
> This typically means that the package was mentioned in a dependency and
> never uploaded, has been obsoleted or is not available with the contents
> of sources.list
>
> What the heck am I doing wrong?  (and, as a side note, I know I can download
> the .deb package manually and install it that way -- but I really want to
> know why apt-get isn't working for me.)

:)

Try:

apt-cache search ssh

See if that pulls up ssh2.

Also, OpenSSH, packaged as ssh, has support for the ssh2 protocol. I know
that installs :). See the bug reports for ssh, http://bugs.debian.org/ssh,
though ( specifically bug 95576 ) if you have IPv6 on your box. Last I
checked you have to uncomment the entries for ssh protocol 2 and sftp in
/etc/ssh/sshd_config. Easy enough, though :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
# der.hans@LuftHans.com home.pages.de/~lufthans/ www.DevelopOnline.com
#  Practice socially consious hedonism. Do whatever you want,