Man page output width

Back a long time ago when I used to know roff in general, and groff in
particular, really well (at Data General I wrote a lot of docs using
groff, and talked to James a good bit about it), I took the tmac.an
macros and modified them to decrease the margin on the man pages
displayed on the TTY.

It is _SO_ annoying to lose at least 10 characters of perfectly good
space on the right of every single line, to a quite useless right hand
margin.

Unfortunately, that knowledge has passed out of my ever-shrinking set of
useful brain cells.

I see that there's an /etc/groff/man.local file which is loaded after
the normal tmac.an (or tmac.an-old or however that works--looks
confusing).  That seems promising.

However, I've completely forgotten what magic incantation I need to put
there to change the right-hand margin from 1 inch or whatever it
currently is to something more reasonable...

Hints, anyone?

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools