RE: [very very OT] noisy power supply

Joerg,

Do not reverse the fan in the P/S.  The Power supply is the most robust
piece of electronics in a PC and is actually designed to run 'HOT' (well
hotter than a CPU or motherboard anyway) and reversing the fan will just
blow hot air into sensitive electronics.

Depending on the case style, it may actually be the CPU fan making all the
noise.  I have seen these vented directly to the back of the case... and
they are really noisy.

Many new cases also have a second fan on the front of the case to blow air
into the case.  If your case has a spot for one there, it is a good idea to
install it.  This fan when fitted is normally the one which fails first (due
to dust and dirt) and not only tends to keep the PC cooler, but keeps case
in positive pressure keeping your CD and floppies cleaner, and relieving
load on the Power Supply fan.

It IS a good idea to put a filter on the front fan, even a coarse one makes
a difference, or at the very least keep your PC off the floor ( glances at
tower sitting ON the floor ;P  ).

Most fans are have bush bearings.  These can fail as early as 12 weeks in
operation (we have some PCs in the worst of environments like the Factory
Floor, literally).  Ball bearing ones are quieter and last for years.  We
currently pay (trade) around $6 (Australian) $3 (US) for a normal fan and
twice that for the ball bearing variety, so it is worth the little extra.

Ian