From: ph1eem@dyn006239.shef.ac.uk [mailto:ph1eem@dyn006239.shef.ac.uk]On
Behalf Of Eric E Moore
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001 3:48 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: new to debian have questions

>>>>> "Joost" == Joost Kooij <joost@topaz.mdcc.cx> writes:

Joost> Apt-get is generally much cooler when run as a dselect method.
Joost> It will save you many pains if you take 30 minutes to learn the
Joost> principles behind dselect and its slightly weird key
Joost> assignments (it's still much easier to learn than vi).

Joost> People who tell you to use apt-get directly are generally
Joost> ill-informed.  If you do not understand what dselect does for
Joost> you, that means that you have to do it yourself if you don't
Joost> use dselect.  Unfortunately, it seems that many people do not
Joost> understand what dselect is supposed to do.

For the relatively uninitated amongst us, could you spell this out
quickly.  What does dselct do that apt-get doesn't?  I remember
hearing on a list that it doesn't handle suggests and reccomends, is
there anything else?  If so, what?  Is this in a FAQ?  I checked the
debian faq and it lists some things dselect can do, but it seems
apt-get does some too...

  -Eric