samba mounting problem

I did some more experiementing with samba mounts last night, and read
the mount, fstab, and smbmount man pages, but couldn't find an
explanation or a solution.  I would like to have fstab entries that
reference the samba shares on the win* boxes on my LAN and provide a
global (ie under /mnt) location where they can be mounted and accessed
by users.  In my experimentation it seems that smbmount will only
mount the share if the user mounting it owns the mount point.  This
means that only root and 1 user can mount any given samba share.
According to the mount (or fstab) man page the option "user" will
allow any user to mount the device, but mount/smbmount doesn't seem to
be obeying that option.  Is there any solution other than (a) make a
wrapper that will chown the mount point first or (b) make each user
have their own mount point (such as under $HOME)?

Thanks for any input,
-D