Re: Via AC 97 Audio chipset

techlists  <techlists@techgod.net> writes:
techlists> I have an AMD k7 800mhz computer.  The mother board has on
techlists> board sound. it's a VIA AC 97 audio Chipset.  Anyone have
techlists> any luck getting this to work.

It works just fine for me using the ALSA driver[1].  You need to build
it from source, but this is fairly easy if you're building a kernel
from source anyways ('apt-get alsa-source' and unpack
/usr/src/alsa-driver.tar.gz, then run 'make-kpkg modules-image').
This takes some setup, but it's probably not terribly harder than any
other way of setting up sound on Linux.

[1] Actually, it's not working terribly well for me on unstable these
days; programs that are actually trying to find ALSA drivers (not the
"normal" OSS drivers) seem to lose, probably since ALSA 0.9 is
substantially different from ALSA 0.5.  Eit.

	-- Abra Mitchell