Swap fscked in 2.4.5?

My swap partition is behaving very rudely. Specifically, swap space never seems
to get freed- swap size only increases, never decreases. Once it maxes out,
the system becomes sluggish, and there's nothing to do but reboot (the notion
of rebooting a system to fix a problem is giving me Windows flashbacks...)

I'm told that this is a bug in the 2.4 series- does anyone know if upgrading
to 2.4.6 will help this problem at all? If not, are there any other
workarounds?

--
Geoffrey M. Romer
gromer@hmc.edu