No text echo in virtual consoles

Hi all

I've got a weird error that seems to crop up after being in X for a
while. If I switch to a virtual console I see the login prompt fine. If I
type my user ID, the cursor moves, but no characters are shown. Obviously
nothing shows typing in the password. I can then type (but not see)
something like ls, and get a screen full of coloured dots & lines, but
nothing recognisable as text. If I switch to another console & back
again, everything shows as it should, but then anything typed or echoed
to screen after that is invisible (or shows as dots) until I flick
elsewhere and back again. At first I thought the login problems were due
to the recent pam issue, but I've done several dist-upgrades (tracking
sid) since then, and a login after reboot works fine, as do virtual
consoles before and, for a while at least, after starting X.

One other thing, which may or may not be connected is starting a second X
session. Thanks to a recent posting here, I've managed to get :1 running
with the vt8 qualifier, but the cursor in a term or text on window
borders or toolbars, etc occasionally disappear, only to reappear when
cycling to another workspace & back. None of these problems happen with
the main X session on :0

There is an unresolved problem with dri/3D acceleration mysteriously
stopping after a few days - one night it's working fine (TuxRacer :) )
then the next it's gone. I've no idea if this is connected to the other
problems, as dri is working fine at present, but the other problems are
there now.

Running 2.4.4ac6, with a Matrox G450 & XFree 4.03 (blackbox wm)

Regards, Martin
--
martin@dbg400.net / jamaro@firstlinux.net
http://www.dbg400.net  DBG/400 - DataBase Generation utilities