Re: Kernel 2.4.5 at last! Problems

%% User zos <zos@starpower.fks.bt> writes:

  uz> Hah. That's really funny. I didn't even think of that. I dunno, if
  uz> I need a file system supported I just compile it straight into the
  uz> kernel. While I realize the benefits of having loadable modules
  uz> for various things, it doesn't make much sense to me to have the
  uz> kernel load a VFAT module just so I can mount my windows
  uz> partition, especially considering that it automounts it at boot.

In that case, true.

But, I only very occasionally mount my Windows partitions.  Further, I
rarely use my CDROM drive, or my floppy drive, or my sound card, or my
parallel port.  Since I don't use my CDROM much, I don't need the
ISO9660/Joliet filesystems very often.

So, I leave those things as loadable modules.

On the other hand, my network card I always build into the kernel :).

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools