Re: Kernel 2.4.5 at last! Problems

> I think you miss the point Andon was trying to make:
>
> You _can_ select whichever filesystem type you want for your root
> partition (AFAIK).
>
> The rule is that whatever filesystem type you select for your root
> partition _must_ be built into the kernel.  It can't be a loadable
> module.

Hah. That's really funny. I didn't even think of that. I dunno, if I need
a file system supported I just compile it straight into the kernel. While
I realize the benefits of having loadable modules for various things, it
doesn't make much sense to me to have the kernel load a VFAT module just
so I can mount my windows partition, especially considering that it
automounts it at boot.

> Consider: how can the kernel load the module that contains the code needed
> to access the filesystem, when it can't access the filesystem until the
> module is loaded?

Yeah. Thanks for pointing that out. Just a bit of short sightedness on my
behalf. :)

-z-