Re: sendmail 8.12 $s macro not fully qualified

Richard A Nelson <cowboy@debian.org> writes:
> Do you perchance have /etc/hosts setup thusly:
> 127.0.0.1 gbr localhost
>
> If so, try changing it to:
> 127.0.0.1 gbr.newt.com localhost

  Good thought, but my /etc/hosts contains the normal "127.0.0.1
  localhost."

Jimmy Richards <longshot@c243491-a.aurora1.co.home.com> writes:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 12:46:28PM -0700, Bill Wohler wrote:
> >   I just upgraded to sendmail 8.12 (woody) and have found that the $s
> >   (sender's host) macro no longer expands to a fully qualified
> >   hostname. Here's a sample log message:

> 	I think maybe you should look at the either the file
> /etc/resolv.conf or /etc/mailname. The mailname has my FQDN whereas the
> relov.conf has just my domain. I'm curious myself as to which one might
> not have the correct info for you in it.

  BINGO! /etc/resolv.conf was fine, but /etc/mailname, which I have
  never seen before and hasn't been touched since September, 1997, was
  set to "gbr." Changing it to "gbr.newt.com" did the trick. Thank you
  thank you thank you.

  Wonder why sendmail started looking at /etc/mailname all of a sudden...

  Thanks for the speedy help both of you!

Maintainer of comp.mail.mh FAQ and mh-e. Vote Libertarian!