Re: domain multiplexing

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 02:48:41PM +1000, Peter Lewis wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Some time ago I noticed a program for Debian which allowed a
> client to add their own sub-domain to an existing domiail.
> This I believe is similar to the  ml.org (now defunked)  where a
> person could add a required domain for example my domain could
> be pjlewis.ml.org
>
> Can anyone help me with the program name and its source?

i't my understanding that domain names work like this --

say some browser requests the address of winky.dinky.dog.tld:

1) that browser's computer has a 'domain server' list, which are
IP numbers of dns servers close by on the net. they get queried
first.

2) if the queried DNS already has that address
(winky.dinky.dog.tld) cached then it returns the cached result.
all done.

3) if it's not cached, it (the DNS) is probably configured
to do the lookup--

	a) it first looks in its own internal "root server" cache
	for a server that handles "...tld" domains. it asks such a
	server for another server that handles "...dog.tld.".

	b) it then asks THAT server (the DNS for "dog.tld") for the
	IP address of a server that handles "dinky.dog.tld".

	c) then the resulting address (DNS for "dinky.dog.tld") is
	asked for an address to match "winky.dinky.dog.tld".

if that is how it is (we'll hear soon enough if it isn't) then
in order for you to be able to add 'crinky' as a subdomain
to "crinky.winky.dinky.dog.tld" then you'd have to have access
to the DNS server at "winky.dinky.dog.tld".

no?

--
DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #36 from Sean Quinlan <smq@gmx.co.uk>
: