Re: Ouch, debconf stopped working

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 08:03:13PM +0200, Nico De Ranter wrote:
> Ok, ok, I know I should have known better. I upgraded to
> unstable/testing some time ago, a few days ago I noticed
> X4.x was finaly in unstable so I upgraded again. Only to
> find out debconf can't live with a recent perl upgrade.
> Now the only thing I get is something like:
>
> Setting up nis (3.9-4) ...
> Can't modify goto in lvalue subroutine return at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Base.pm line 24, near "}"
> Compilation failed in require at (eval 4) line 3.
> 	...propagated at /usr/share/perl/5.6.1/base.pm line 18.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Iterator.pm line 5.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 7.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Question.pm line 7.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 5.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Config.pm line 5.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Log.pm line 8.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Db.pm line 5.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Db.pm line 5.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/share/debconf/frontend line 22.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/share/debconf/frontend line 22.
> dpkg: error processing nis (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
>  nis
>
> Unfortunately I can't remove perl since it is kind of
> vital :-). And it doesn't seem to be possible to reinstall
> perl because then apt-get tells me perl is already
> up-to-date.  Dito for the debconf package.
>
> Any ideas? I'm kind of lost here :-(
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Nico

>  "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
>   refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
>                the computer industry."
> Nico De Ranter
> Sony Service Center (SDCE/NEE-B)
> Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
> 1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
> Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
> e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com

	Hi Nico,

	It's been a long time since I had to deal with this problem. But, I
suggest downloading the requisite perl .deb's. See if you have anything
in /etc/alternatives that is trying point to perl. Make a symlink in
/usr/bin to whatever that may be pointed to and then try to install the
.deb's. Or, if no luck there, just try making a symlink in /usr/bin that
points to 'perl-5.6' or perhaps 'perl5.6.1' and see if that fixes it by
trying to manually installing the .deb's after making those symlinks. I
tracked down the problem myself long ago by actually examining the lines
of the file given in the error message and trying to figure out what it
was having a problem with. If you do this and still can't figure it out
message back again with what you did get by digging a little deeper. If
you really can't figure it out you could attach the offending .pm files
in the error message and I will have a look at them and try to figure
out what's wrong by your error messages. If you do that, you may want to
e-mail me directly rather than having everyone on the mailing list
downloading the attached files.

	Hope That Helps and Good Luck,

	Jim Richards
	linuxrh@home.com