Squid - a bit off-topic

Sorry for this question somewhat astray.

I've convinced my Information Tech Dept. to adopt a linux proxy server
(instead of Win NT stuff!!) and they're thinking of Squid.

Now the problem they are dealing with as newbies with linux is about
user authentication.

In a nutshell, because only few of us (100 people out of 650) are
allowed to connect to the web, the present Win NT proxy server connect
to the PDC server where a group of users authorised to connect to the
Internet is defined. Of course the users don't need to provide their
account and passwords.

They now wonder if this same group on the PDC server can be used with
Squid for the same purpose without dismantling that magnificent :-( NT
server or - which is worst - duplicate list of users?

Any suggestion?

Vittorio