Re: filename completion with nfs

Richard Froehning <richard@fmr.tu-darmstadt.de> writes:

> I have troubles using filename completion on nfs-mounted filesystems
> with woody. It generally works. But it seems some dirs are not
> seen... . The directories are working and I can use them. But a cd
> (with using TAB with bash) does not work.

Maybe the NFS server is an SGI or similar and with TAB you see
everything except exactly the last directory entry?

If your answer is yes then your problem is the relatively new function
getdents64(). It occures not only within the bash but also in mc,
every Gnome program, etc. There is a special parameter for compiling
packages in a way that they are able to handle the high directory
indexes (I think that's the key problem) that are given by some NFS
servers. It don't do any harm to the packages. Bad thing is I forgot
which parameter it was - but if this is your problem I will recall it.

I tried compiling programs using the above parameter and it worked,
but since it's no fun to recompile a whole installation I simply
stick with kernel 2.2 on the production hosts.

[x] ulf

--
"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00, you don't
want Linux'".  (Bruce Perens)