Re: mc (Midnight Commander): View (F3) does not work on a .deb file?

> On Mon, 9 Jul 2001, Shaul Karl wrote:
>
> > Trying to View (F3) a deb file from within mc (Midnight Commander)
> > gives me a red Error box with the message: `Empty output from child
> > filter'
> >
> > It seems to me that the problem is my respective lines in ~/.mc/bindings:
> >
> > [13:14:57 tmp]$ grep -A4 '# deb' ~/.mc/bindings
> > # deb
> > regex/\.deb$
> >         Open=%cd %p#deb
> >         View=%view{ascii} ar p %f control.tar.gz | tar xzO control ;
> > echo "" ;  echo "Filelist:" ; ar p %f data.tar.gz | tar tzv
> >
> > [13:15:04 tmp]$
> >

> > Do other get this Error? What are the correct lines?
>
> It works fine for me (out of the box) for whatever version of mc
> there is on 2.2r3. The only files I have in .mc are
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 1000     1000           35 Jul  7 11:36 Tree
> -rw-------    1 1000     1000          514 Jul  7 11:36 history
>
> Tree contains only
>
> Midnight Commander TreeStore v 2.0
>
> and history has some crap in it about the deb files I have accessed.
>
> Did you add the above lines yourself? If so, take them out and it should
> work. I have not customised mc at all, and it works for me.
>
>                                                Faheem.

I should have mentioned that I am running testing:

[22:27:49 tmp]$ grep-status -s Version -PX mc
Version: 4.5.51-17
[22:27:54 tmp]$

I have not add the above lines myself. Those lines are given by the deb:

[22:35:55 tmp]$ sed -ne '1,3p
> /# deb/,/^$/p' /etc/mc/mc.ext
# Midnight Commander 3.0 extension file
# Warning: Structure of this file has changed completely with version 3.0
#
# deb
regex/\.deb$
        Open=%cd %p#deb
        View=%view{ascii} ar p %f control.tar.gz | tar xzO control ; echo "" ;
echo "Filelist:" ; ar p %f data.tar.gz | tar tzv

[22:40:50 tmp]$

I believe your mc version is prior to mine.
The expected behavior of F3 is to get a listing of the files inside the deb.
Just like for rpms, tar and so on.
Like someone else has reported, I get just a flashing screen with an 'enter'
and the associated xterm (ctrl+O) says:

    gzip: what_ever_deb_it_is.deb: not in gzip format

I will file a bug against mc.
--

	Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net>

Hillel used to say: If I am not for myself who will be for me?
Yet, if I am for myself only, what am I? And if not now, when?
                                          (Ethics Of The Fathers 1:14)