Re: [users] Re: Time to fight for our beloved DEB format!

> The reason why the run levels are specified was to handle cases where
> An LSB application may wish to have some kind of daemon which is only
> running when X11/xdm is running.
>
> Now, we could have added yet another level of indirection (in computer

I'm probably missing something here, but isn't the main purpose of
knowing the meaning of runlevels so the start/stop script links can be
put in the right runlevel-specific directories?

So if Debian wants to define its runlevels differently than the
standard, then it just has to adjust its LSB-install program to
translate from one LSB runlevel to its local runlevel, and install the
link in whatever directory it wants.

In other words, the level of indirection can take place within the
Debian lsb-installation manager, rather than within the LSB spec
itself.  Then the admin who cares customizes /etc/LSB.conf can map the
runlevels however she wants.

Does the LSB have other reasons for specifying runlevels that couldn't
be handled via a mapping in the installer?

--
Pete Harlan
harlan@artselect.com