Re: upgrading to kernel 2.4.5

> > On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 04:03:59PM +0000, Victor wrote:
> > > I've a wonderful debian 2.2r3 laptop, almost perfectly set up and
> > > working greatly and stable.
> > >
> > > My simple question is:
> > >
> > > Is there any advantage to upgrade my box to kernel 2.4.5?
> >
> > If you're happy with what you have now then I would say there is no real
> > reason to.  OTOH you could install a 2.4.x kernel and try it out and
> > still keep your old kernel around to fall back on, if you don't like
> > 2.4.x.  You just have to edit /etc/lilo.conf to point to both kernels.
> > Run /sbin/lilo.  On boot hit "tab" and pick your kernel.
> > hth,
> > kent

There are some utils packages that should be upgraded at the same time
as the kernel.  To do it as transparently as possible, use the Bunk
site in your /etc/apt/sources.list file.  Those files are numbered in
such a way as to automatically become obsolete when proper 2.4 support
is added to Debian "stable".

# 2.4 kernel
deb	http://people.debian.org/~bunk/debian potato main