Re: creating a local mirror

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 09:06:51PM +0200, Martin F. Krafft wrote:
> we are using a local debian mirror for several reasons. we let rsync
> run on one of the official servers once a week over the weekend, and
> still have security.debian.org in the sources.list files on all
> workstations. however, due to the nature of rsync, whenever packages
> on the server are updated, they are first removed locally (i have to
> use the --delete option since we only have a 40Gb drive for the
> mirror), before everything is rsync'd. usually this works quite well,
> but there are times when the connection is so bad that on monday
> morning not all packages have been rsync'd so that Packages.gz says
> they are there, but they aren't quite yet.
>
> any ideas on how to improve this?

We have the same problem.  Our nightly cron jobs have a tendency to fail
as well as some of the rsync servers that http.us.debian.org points to
return only error messages.  We tried mirroring off a leaf mirror that
was closer (and faster), but that plan went haywire when the leaf mirror
got corrupt and trashed our mirror in turn.

I would try the following:  run your update script without --delete,
and when that rsync process has completed, run the same script with
--delete.  Everything should be updated in the first run so the second
run would only retreive the file list and delete the expired debs.  If
you have space considerations just exclude some of the architechtures.

Just might work.