creating a local mirror

we are using a local debian mirror for several reasons. we let rsync
run on one of the official servers once a week over the weekend, and
still have security.debian.org in the sources.list files on all
workstations. however, due to the nature of rsync, whenever packages
on the server are updated, they are first removed locally (i have to
use the --delete option since we only have a 40Gb drive for the
mirror), before everything is rsync'd. usually this works quite well,
but there are times when the connection is so bad that on monday
morning not all packages have been rsync'd so that Packages.gz says
they are there, but they aren't quite yet.

apt-proxy is not an option, apt-move doesn't help either since it
doesn't ensure all packages to be there - and since we do a lot of
testing with random packages, we need to have access to all packages
at all times.

any ideas on how to improve this?

all i ask of life is a constant and
exaggerated sense of my own importance.